Youth have fun and learn new skills on social, sporting and outdoor experiences. Youth develop self-confidence, life skills and leadership qualities.
The aims of Blue Light are:
- To encourage better relations between young people and their parents, the Police and the Community.
- To prevent crime and anti-social behaviour by exposing young people to different experiences and a healthy socialization process in a safe, supervised environment.
- To raise self-esteem amongst young people.
- To develop leadership skills in older youth through Life Skills Development Camp with the NZ Defence Force.
Our success is measured by:-
- youth enjoy memorable and life changing experiences
- evaluation forms from the participants and assisting adult supervisors
- correspondence received from schools, students and community groups expressing their gratitude for the expertise, support, safety and understanding shown by our staff and volunteers when conducting our programs
- community will benefit from youth demonstrating more respect, responsibility, resourcefulness and resilience – the four core values that are targeted on our programs
- participants in the Life Skills Development Courses and other camps are interviewed, often with their families, several times in the year following their course to map their progress at home, at school and in the community
- Police, parents, students and community involvement on committees and at events
- programs and activities recognised for providing excellent value for money
- we are valued for our development of new youth initiatives
- supporting other local youth organisations.