The Gemstones program has been a long time popular educational, in-class activity that North Rodney Blue Light provides.
Suitable age group: 11 years of age and above.
To encourage young people to consider the appropriateness of their present behaviour and to empower them to take responsibility for positive personal change.
After participating in the program young people will:-
- Identify aspects of their behaviour that they would like to change
- Manage their feeling s in a positive way
- Make appropriate decisions after considering alternatives
- Accept responsibility for the consequences of their actions
- Think before they speak or act
- Have courage
- Set personal challenges and goals and be committed to achieving these
- Develop a feeling of confidence and self worth
- Experience fun and fulfilment in their lives
- Manage their lives in a balanced way.
In all ages and cultures, children, as they emerge from childhood, undergo a rite of passage into adult life. This is critical and often a difficult time for many of them.
Gem of the First water is a metaphorical rite of passage.
It is based on three principles:
- There are right and wrong choices
- Good decision making leads to appropriate behaviour and good feelings, so building health self- confidence.
- The steps to balanced living are quite simple
The listeners go through three phases:-
- They identify with the boy in the story and then internalise his journey as their own.
- They struggle with the boy’s new learning and the decisions he must take.
- They choose to take control of their lives
Consists of approx. 20 one hour sessions with a trained facilitator.
Students draw or colour in material provided and write the key concepts for each chapter.
Homework is required to identify key resource people.
An Outdoor challenge is usually conducted towards the end of the program.